Skip to main content
CALAVERA REVIEW
Calavera The Undead #1 Comic Book Review by Ric Susman of The Read Pile

Advanced Review: Calavera: The Undead

Things I am a sucker for:
The 80′s
Zombies
Anything zany and, or, over the top.

With that said, it should come to no surprise that I really enjoyed the first issue of Calavera. Written and drawn by Nevin Arnold (and brought to us by Hangman Comics) comes a book that is as much fun to read as it is to view. In short the art matches the story. The humor matches the the tone in every panel and reminds me of Chew as much as it does Dawn of the Dead.
Calavera
If I am honest, that is the best way to describe Calavera herself. She is completely out of place and time being a traditional 80′s Punk/Metal girl who suddenly wakes up in the year 2012. She is fully aware of what she is and I find that very refreshing, self aware zombies are a lot easier for me to accept. None of this “walker” or “biter” silliness. She is more than a sum of her parts as well, she is funny and kind of adorable in an “aww shucks Im a zombie” kind of way.
I don’t want to sound like I am just gushing over this book, there were faults. Many times I found it difficult to really dive into the book because Calavera takes herself so not seriously that it was a little distracting. Other times I felt the pages moved a little too fast. However, these are not major issues and can easily be chalked to normal “Issue 1 problems.”
I look forward to seeing where this SUPER POWERED ROCKER ZOMBIE GIRL goes, and how her mission proceeds.
If you too are a sucker for the same kind of things I am, I would urge you to pop in to you local comic bookery and see if you can get a copy of this. It’s certainly worth the read.
- The Sus-Man

See Article Here: http://thfist.com/read/advanced-review-calavera-the-undead/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog